Turning 25 was a whole new ball game for me as it came with a wave of emotions and a truckload of tribulations. At least that’s what I would like to believe. After pondering for some time – since we all are self-isolating ourselves for a good reason, I thought why not share my thoughts with you and encourage you to follow, perhaps?
With 2020 starting on a crazy arse note, I decided to reflect upon the past year and revisit what I have learned. During this quarantine period, we all have a chance to reflect, readjust, and restart. We need a bit of a breather. Don’t we?
So here goes – 25 things you should let go of once you hit a quarter of a century-old:
- People who make you question your self-worth, choices, and who you are as individuals—no tolerance for judgments here.
- The fear of being alone, not finding “the one,” or being the one for someone.
- The people who don’t appreciate you – especially those who never have and never will.
- The feeling that you “deserve” to have something that you aren’t willing to work your ass off for!
- The idea that asking for help or guidance makes you look weak.
- Unnecessary expectations because if they are not met, they definitely lead to disappointments.
- Insecurities. We all have them hidden somewhere beneath. Learn to embrace them rather than fighting them or pretending that it doesn’t exist.
- Any grudges that are keeping you stuck. It’s time to cut yourself free of past issues and finally move on with your life.
- Tagging yourself as a complete loser just because you haven’t achieved a milestone – small or big.
- Any labels that are on you that you don’t identify with.
- Feelings of anxiety about the future. Control what you can and let go of what’s already done.
- Your pursuit of an unrealistic body image. The only person your body needs to please is yourself. Nobody else. End of story.
- Putting so much pressure on yourself makes you constantly stressed and anxious.
- Overthinking. I can’t stress enough on this one because it’s not just a habit – it is a plague. I repeat, just let go of it.
- Your past. Why can’t it just be where it belongs? Let go of all the baggage and regret. The past ain’t gonna change any more.
- Let go of excuses. If you can’t own up for what you do, then it’s time to change that.
- Hatred and jealousy. These demons show up out of nowhere and turn you into someone you don’t want to be.
- The belief that it is too late to start over. Whether you are leaving an unhealthy relationship or setting out to explore life, never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.
- The fear of change. The scariest part is not knowing what happens after it.
- The unsolicited opinions of others. They aren’t worth your time.
- Being part of senseless gossips. Avoid sharing it, spreading it, and participating in it. You have better things to do.
- Anger and resentment towards your parents. You are growing up, and they are growing old. They do the best they can for you. It is high time you realize this and take control of your actions.
- Fear of confrontation. By 25, you know your worth, and you know who matters to you. Don’t be afraid to speak about what you truly feel.
- Any relationship, place, or situation that drains you. Don’t waste your time on dead ends. You know what you need, and if the situation isn’t helping, then pull out of it before it’s too late.
- Every damn expectation of where you thought you would be at 25. You don’t have to be married, support a family, accept an Oscar, or even have your dream job at 25. Just feel free and happy to live a life that feels genuine and authentic.
Anything else, small or big – it’s time for you to let go!