Performance appraisal is a process of evaluating an employee performance appraisal in a job in terms of requirements. The Performance appraisal will help to identify the strength and weakness of the employees to place the right men on the right job. The employees get benefited like promotion, employee development, compensation, motivation. It is used to provide feedback to employees regarding their performance.
The main theme of appraisal is to appraise the opportunity to reflect on their work and learning needs to improve their performance. The appraisal can be achieved through discussing their development and feedback on their job performance. It is just like a motivation for the people to involve in work.
The rating means comparing the performance of a worker again at a standard performance level. It considers the actual time taken to perform a particular task. The purpose of the performance rating is to provide a systematic evaluation of the employee contribution.
It is a procedure for determining the value for a factor which will adjust the measured time for observed task performance to a task time.
It considers determining normal value during the work portion of an average day and non-work times occurred during the day.
An employee will get an appraisal:
Employee gets an appraisal when they get recognized for a job well done.
If employees work has been done in the appropriate time.
- Quality of work/ efficiency of work
- Completing his targets
- Regularity on the job
- Level of participation
What will appraisal do to employees?
- Appraisal provides feedback to each person on his/her performance
- It serves as a basis for modifying/changing behaviour towards more effective working habits
- It helps to open up and improve communication
- Set new goals
- Potential employees often get promotion based on results
- It creates healthy competition among employees
- It helps employees to identify the areas in which they need to improve.
Cons of performance appraisal in terms of employee:
- It is virtually impossible to cover an entire year worth of work on one document
- Many employees don’t receive this feedback.
- If not done right, they can create a negative experience
- They are based on human assessment and are subject to errors and biases
- Score based appraisals are demotivating, as it can be disappointing to deemed average
- Lack of interaction with an employee may convince the supervisor that he cannot offer a meaningful judgment.
ARISETTY SAI ROJA a 21years old, shy, introvert believes in karma. She has a silent soul like a day. Currently, she is pursuing an MBA; she always intended for women empowerment. She holds a great interest in motivating people around her in following their dreams. She is an astonishing soul who is still lost in the countryside that made her step in the process of women empowerment. She dreams high, keeping her feet to the ground; she wants to make a mark in this world as a strong woman.